Welcome to the home page for the Houston Salsa Congress Educational Scholarship Program. HSD offers scholarship opportunities to recognize outstanding community service of Undergraduates and Graduate students alike by supporting their academic goals. Here, you will find important information in regards to our application process such as important dates, instructions, the application and a link to upload that information.
Scholarship awards are for one year only and are open to undergraduate and graduate study. Award selection is based on:
- Participation in community service activities and volunteer work
- Academic grade point average
- Standardized test scores
- Content of a 1000-word formal essay submission.
- Submission of applications on or before November 1st, 11:59PM.
- Access to the scholarship application starts June 1st
- Application and supporting documents must be submitted by November 1st
- Houston Salsa Congress is every Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend
To be eligible, scholarship applicants must have participated in community service work or volunteer activities. They must also meet the following criteria:
- Have a cumulative grade point average between 2.5 and 4.0 on a 4.0 scale (or the equivalent); emphasis will be placed on community service activities.
- Enrolled or are enrolling in a college or equal higher learning institution during the upcoming year at an accredited two- or four-year college or university. Disbursement of funds is dependent upon verification of enrollment.
- Demonstrate a financial need towards higher education.
- Must be able to attend and accept the award on stage at the Awards Ceremony during the 2016 Houston Salsa Congress: Saturday, January 16, 2016 or may send a representative to attend and accept the award on stage on your behalf. The entrance fee will be waived for this night.
- Previous year’s winners are ineligible to apply, but may do so the following year.
- The HSD Scholarship Application must be completely filled out with all the required (*) information.
- A 1,000 (thousand) word formal essay double-spaced is required as part of your application process.
- The scholarship application is considered INCOMPLETE without proof of Academic Performance.
- Gain Access to the Application by adding the Scholarship plan to your subscriptions.
- Come back to this page, and then click on “View & Submit”.
- Bookmark the Application page.
- Download the application and instructions to your computer.
- Come back to the Application page and upload your documentation by the deadline.