Total Scholarship Funds Awarded to Date: $66,850*
WE HAVE EXTENDED THE SCHOLARSHIP DEADLINE TO DEC 1ST, 2017 IN LIGHT OF HURRICANE HARVEY
(*Amount does not include funds donated to local events, causes and sponsorship programs*)
Houston Salsa Dancers, Inc. (“HSD”), a nonprofit organization that rewards annual scholarships to students who are involved in community services or part of a community-based program at school or in their community, would like to thank you for participating in our scholarship application.
The duty of the Scholarship Committee is to promote the scholarship program and encourage students to participate in the application process. If you know someone who could benefit from our scholarship program, your help is appreciated in sharing our program with them. Scholarships are awarded at the Houston Salsa Congress and will be made available to the college or university of the student’s choosing. A student must be enrolling or already enrolled in a college institution to receive an award.
Undergraduates and Graduate students are eligible for these scholarships. HSD will be awarding scholarships to deserving students and may be awarded to deserving Graduate student(s). Visit our website for helpful information to submitting a successful application and essay.
HSD offers scholarship opportunities to recognize outstanding community service of Undergraduates and Graduate students alike by supporting their academic goals. Scholarship awards are for one year only and are open to undergraduate and graduate study. Applications will be accepted through December 1st, 11:59PM. Award selection is based on:
- Participation in community service activities and volunteer work;
- Academic grade point average;
- Standardized test scores; and
- The content of a 1000-word formal essay submission.
STUDENT ELIGIBILITY TO INCLUDE
To be eligible, scholarship applicants must have participated in community service work or volunteer activities. They must also meet the following criteria:
- Have a cumulative grade point average between 2.5 and 4.0 on a 4.0 scale (or the equivalent); emphasis will be placed on community service activities.
- Enrolled or are enrolling in a college or equal higher learning institution during the upcoming year at an accredited two- or four-year college or university. Disbursement of funds is dependent upon verification of enrollment.
- Demonstrate a financial need towards higher education.
- Must be able to attend and accept the award on stage at the Awards Ceremony during the 2016 Houston Salsa Congress: Saturday, January 13, 2017 or may send a representative to attend and accept the award on stage on your behalf. The entrance fee will be waived for this night.
- Previous year’s winners are ineligible to apply, but may do so the following year.
- The HSD Scholarship Application must be completely filled out with all the required (*) information.
- A 1,000 (thousand) word formal essay double-spaced is required as part of your application process.
The scholarship application is considered INCOMPLETE without proof of Academic Performance.
HOW TO APPLY
- Sign up for a free Basic HSD Membership.
- Once logged in, you will find a link to the Scholarship Home Page.
- Your application and supporting documentation must be uploaded through our website by December 1st. You can access the upload page from the Scholarship Home Page.