FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How do I qualify for the HSD Scholarship?
Please see the Eligibility Requirements section.
- Do I need to be a salsa dancer/performer or know how to salsa dance to apply?
No, given the essay, there may be preference given to those who are familiar with the salsa community but it is not required.
- What happens once I submit my application materials?
You will receive a confirmation email letting you know that we have received all completed, required documents.
- What if I have technical issues when submitting my application?
Log into your account, go to the Scholarship Home Page, and you will see a link for technical assistance. Please give 24-48 hours to allow us to respond. Be aware that there is a hard deadline at midnight, November 1st, for submitting the scholarship application materials, regardless of technical difficulties.
- How will the money be dispersed?
Each scholarship winner will need to contact their school’s Scholarship and Financial Aid Office to register Houston Salsa Dancers, Inc as an Authorized Representative. Then when your enrollment is verified at the accredited college or university, a check will be issued directly to the school, not the student. Once we receive the student ID number, the entire process may take up to 3 weeks for the school to be issued the award money. It is the student’s responsibility to check with the school to see how long it will post to their account.
- What if I have not decided, yet where to go to school? What if I have not been accepted, yet?
The Scholarship money may be used during any semester within the calendar year. If the student is not enrolled at an accredited college or university during the calendar year, the award money will be forfeited.
- Is it an absolute requirement that I attend the HSD Congress on the Award Ceremony night to get my scholarship?
Yes. A condition of the receiving the scholarship is that you or a representative must attend and accept the award on stage the award ceremony at the Houston Salsa Congress during the Martin Luther King weekend.
- What can I expect, specifically, at the Award Ceremony during the HSD Congress?
The Award Ceremony takes place on stage. Please dress in the proper formal or semi-formal attire, i.e. slacks/dress. The entrance fee will be waived for this night. Recipients will be seated in an assigned VIP seat. Recipients will be called to the stage halfway through the shows. Recipients and their guests are welcomed to enjoy the event for the rest of the evening.
- What is the Houston Salsa Congress?
The Houston Salsa Congress is an annual event that culminates culture, artistry, and diversity. It is comprised of evening shows from professional and local dance companies. After the shows, there is social dancing with music provided by talented musical artists and D.J.s. The weekend also includes dance workshops taught by professional dancers. During the weekend of the Houston Salsa Congress, HSD presents “Bailando Hacia La Universidad” (“Dancing Your Way to College”) which is a half-day forum providing information to high school and college students about college choices, financial aid and the enrichment of Latin culture. Speakers and performances at the forum include key international performers from the Houston Salsa Congress.
- Can I expect to receive my scholarship money at the HSD Congress?
No. A check will be mailed to the college/university entered on the scholarship application after the Houston Salsa Congress, once enrollment has been verified.
- If I do not win this year, may I apply next year?
Yes. If your scholarship application was not chosen this year, you may reapply for next year’s scholarship.
- If I win this year, may I apply next year?
No. If you are awarded with this year’s scholarship, you are considered ineligible to apply for the next year’s scholarship, but may do so for the following scholarship year.
- How are funds raised for the HSD Scholarships?
In addition to corporate and private donations, funds are raised throughout the year through monthly socials and events, and ticket sales to the Houston Salsa Congress.
- How can I or my company donate to the HSD Scholarship Fund?
Please visit our website under Sponsorship for more information.